Hard sell, or passive?

For general discussion not related to [FuN], Ascendance, or gaming.

Moderators: [AsC]Frags, [FuN] Users, Senior Moderators, Friends of [FuN]

Hard sell, or passive?

Postby Freebie » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:07 pm

Im changing what i do for a living, and im currently planning my new venture. I've come to a place where i am disagreeing with my partner over an important part of the plan. I was wondering if anyone has any imput.......

I need to locate people using wireless networks. I can do this fine by walking around with a wireless enabled device, and once introduced i can sell my services. The problem is how to introduce myself to my potential customers.

I think it's ok to knock on the door, and to be straight to the point. To inform them that thay have a network that is 'open', and to tell them that it is likely that their files may be visable to their neighbours, or passers by. Then to offer them some services that combat this problem. Perhaps leave them with an info pack with my details all over it. 8)

My partner thinks this will come across as blackmail. I think she's wrong. :roll:

I think these people need to be aware. Im not going to promise to make them unhackable, just make it less likely that neighbours and the likes can get in.

So i guess my question is, once i've found a potential customer, should i go right ahead and knock on the door, or should i take a more passive approach?

All views appeciated - especially as my new next door neighbour gonna be my first test case :wink:
Freebie

Postby m0nk3y-bw0y » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:31 pm

Personnaly if u did that to me i would be pissed!
To me thats beyond cheak ..u may disagree but u asked

Also i would check the legal rights of scannign networks ..im not 100% but im sure u can get done for that in the UK.
Hence why any site/server that scans u (Eg: Quakenet) all have a discalimer/agreement to allow this. <Again not 100% on this

Either way i wouldnt be impressed if u did this and i deffintly wouldnt belive.
To me you would just be some canvaser and wouldnt even get listened to ..but im funny about people knocking my door and it gets my backup.
m0nk3y-bw0y

Postby Freebie » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:57 pm

lol Monkey, i know i asked, and i appreciate your reply ;O)

i have previously sold Kirbys, Zenith Windows, locally based windows etc. I am used to not being welcome :O). This is why i admit my opinion may be wrong, and why im asking for others imput.

Obvioulsy on the door, i wouldn't say my piece in 3 lines like i did above, and maybe it wouldn't come accross as being quite as rude.

A more passive sell is probably required though.

Any more opinions on this?

One way or the other, i will leave everyone with an informative leaflet of which the draft follows. I think they will believe the problem, and i know they will believe me once i speek to them. It's actually informative enough for most of them to do it themselves........

Protecting Your Wireless Network

According to a recent study by a wireless-gateway provider, 21 percent of home Wi-Fi users can access their neighbours' wireless networks. As many as 4 percent have "accidentally" logged on, sometimes peeking at files and surfing the Internet through a neighbor's broadband connection.

Following are some basic ways to help protect your network:

1. Do not allow your SSID to be broadcast. By hiding the SSID you are hiding the most visable sign of the network being there in the first place. This is not 100% fail safe, sniffers can detect wireless networks, but this will stop the general tom, dick and harry who happen to come within range of your network. The factory default for this setting is nearly always to show the SSID.

2. Change the passwords to your router. Most manfacturers use a default password accross all equipment within a range. Keeping these 'pre-known' passwords is an obvious weak point for your network.

3. Encrypt your connection. All routers (if not, all that i've seen) offer a choice of encyptions. The most basic encytopin type is WEP. When using WEP the machines on your network need 'keys' to communicate with each other. A machine without this key would not be able to join the network. This again is not fail safe, some flaws have been

indentified in WEP protection, but it adds considerably to the effort required to access your network. Most routers also offer more advanced encryption like EAP. The default settings for WEP are generally set to OFF.

4. If you share files between machines, then you should be using password protection.

As said, all of the above is pretty basic. Their are hackers out their that can work around each of these security methods, but the point is that it would take days, or perhaps weeks to do so. The largest risk is from those passing your property, living next door or accross the street - and these are not the hackers of this world!

You will find that the manual you got with your wireless equipment will contain instructions on how to set up each of the items above. Often just knowing what to look for is a good enough start to do this yourself.

Alternatively, we offer a low cost service to secure an existing network. We can show you how your network is visable to others, and secure it - and we'll take just 30 minutes of your time.....
Freebie

Postby mazza » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:37 am

how about rather than hard sell u put a leaflet thru their door with the basics on and a fone number/email addy for assistance?? just a thought but i know nuffin bout nuffin :D
mazza

Postby Freebie » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:44 am

After doing some homework, i can't do this. Different police forces have different opinions. But some will use the "'use of a computer for a purpose for which you do not have permission" reason for putting a stop to it, or arresting me ;O)

The reason they disagree in some places is 'caue the equipment is working exactly as it's supposed to, and it can be likened to listening to a radio braodcast. Stop one, and you could set nasty precedents for the other - they are both actually broadcasting data via radio waves through public space after all.

It seems you may be able to do it for statistical purposes though. So i could perhaps find the good areas using a wifi handheld, but not find individual customers.....

Targetting broadband users may be easier. How many 56k users gonna be using a wireless router?
Freebie

Postby Freebie » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:46 am

a leaflet drop in broadband heavy areas gonna be first port of call likely ;O)
Freebie

Return to General Chat