Game server downloads

General questions about [FuN], it's servers and people

Moderators: Keiser Soze, [AsC]Frags, [FuN] Users, Senior Moderators

Game server downloads

Postby Cpt.Miller » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:15 am

As people have been asking for this, well here it is :)

All mod and maps for Gamers and mayhem can be found Here

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby Keiser Soze » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:49 pm

Jamie can you make this as sticky post?

( Keiser wispers to Jamie: links are not to ZIP files )
[FuN]Keiser Soze

or
Cerberos -game server rcon tool
"One man with a gun can control 100 without one."
- Vladimir Lenin -
"Listen kid, life is like a dame; you spend your days trying to dance to her tune,
and she still ends up loving some other fella better."
- Humphrey Bogart -
"No man was ever wise by chance."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca -
Keiser Soze
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Cpt.Miller » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Hi keiser,

When i try to download via IE it downloads them as zip files not iwd files, it might just be me but i thought i had better tell people to rename them if they do download as zip.

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby spliffyed » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:20 pm

er . . . call me stupid . . . but why not ZIP the files for each sever so as each includes all the *.iwd files - then when people download and unzip them they see something they recognise (eg 2 files mayhem.zip and gamers.zip) - when these two are set up i can lock the topic and remove all the guff posts - and if you add a new map you can just update the zip file (the links will stay the same).

Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
spliffyed

Postby Keiser Soze » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:42 pm

Cpt.Miller wrote:Hi keiser,

When i try to download via IE it downloads them as zip files not iwd files, it might just be me but i thought i had better tell people to rename them if they do download as zip.

Cpt.

:oops: tbh haven't tried... when i have tried.... zip?!?! you're right

as for Spliff's post think it's better that way... even better to zip then with folders so ppl wouldn't need to think where to unpack (relative paths to map folders) so would need to go to cod main folder and unzip there...no metter what folder hierarchy there is.
[FuN]Keiser Soze

or
- Vladimir Lenin -
"Listen kid, life is like a dame; you spend your days trying to dance to her tune,
- Humphrey Bogart -
Keiser Soze
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Cpt.Miller » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:02 am

Yes i do agree with Spliff to, It would be better to be done this way, if someone would set up a free host site to upload the files to, i would be happy to do this.

like i said above, i cant zip the files on that host as its my isp web space, wich has a limit of 200 MB.

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby spliffyed » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:52 am

OK I thought I'd 'package' these into ZIP files using the folders you give on the link ...

Houston we have a problem MAYHEM MOD1 and MAYHEM MOD2 are the same files - as are MAYHEM MAP1 and MAYHEM MAP2

? and I thought I had the reputation for smoking the silly cigarettes :)

If you sort this out i'll see if Frags can sweet-talked into letting you have 200Mb of server space for downloading from - then we can make up a simple webpage and put a link from (perhaps the top banner as well as the link here).

? for the Millers - how often are these files likely to change ? because if it's a lot then u should maybe find somewhere you can access to update them easily yourselves (there are plenty of freebie storage solutions if you don't mind putting up with the advertising). I guess the hugely painfull in-game download one would be the 50+Mb Gamers file. Others would be more manangeble in-game should they change from the versions here occasionally.

Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
spliffyed

Postby Keiser Soze » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:28 pm

Isn't possible to do that with dedi server? As far as I know it is... if you need assistence about that we can arrange something ;)
[FuN]Keiser Soze

or
- Vladimir Lenin -
- Humphrey Bogart -
Keiser Soze
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby spliffyed » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:37 pm

You could put the files on the gaming server but it might cause lag for players if there are a couple of them doing downloads at same time, better to keep the two seperate IMO - remember that a new player joining without downloading the mods will be downloading from in-game anyway (and that's normally at a limited speed to help prevent lag). A download from say an ftp: service running on server wouldn't be speed limited by default.

spliffyed

Postby Cpt.Miller » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:29 am

I agree with Spliff about not hosting the downloads off the server, i have setup web hosting on the server for use with the stats page, and it runs ok for web pages but i would not like to put big files on there.

spliffyed wrote:remember that a new player joining without downloading the mods will be downloading from in-game anyway (and that's normally at a limited speed to help prevent lag). A download from say an ftp: service running on server wouldn't be speed limited by default.

Spliff,it looks to me you think the downloads come from in-game, players once they join (and have downloads turned on) are automaticly disconnected from the game and sent to download from the links above and once all needed files have been downloaded they are then automaticly connected to the game. Also doing it this way allows no speed limit to be impossed, i have 10 meg download speed and when i download the files i download them at full speed, this one of the reasons that i didnt make a link page as its just as fast to download in game as it is to download of of links.

Btw thanks for pointing out errors on links, all fixed now, as for changes, both the mods are there to stay but maps will need to be changed once i get some suggestions.

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby spliffyed » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:46 pm

Ok - I missunderstood how the CoD downloads work.

So is all you are looking for an alternative location for the current downloads from the links above?

spliffyed

Postby Cpt.Miller » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:49 am

Tbh i cant see the point of setting up another location, for 1 the ingame downloads are fast anyway and download automaticly to the right place. The links above should do fine if people dont want to download via the game, all they would have to do is place the files in the right places them selfs, and if they cant do that they should imho not be using a pc ;)

It was keiser who asked me to do this, so if he would explain his thoughts on this it might help.

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Return to General [FuN] Information