Lets try again.....about this new server?

General questions about [FuN], it's servers and people

Moderators: Keiser Soze, [AsC]Frags, [FuN] Users, Senior Moderators

Lets try again.....about this new server?

Postby jcket » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:42 am

As the other topic/thread was locked, And Dutchman suggested we open a new one, I thought i would to the honers.....

Ok, This thread is for server sugestions only......Please DO NOT post anything other than that.

This is what Cpt.Miller wanted to do at the begining of the original Thread:

Set up 2 CoD2 servers, Mayhem (mixed TDM/DM/S&D) plus a War server.

Set up 2 CoD4 servers, Gamers (mixed S&D/DOM/SAB) plus a war server.

I personlay think we should go with this, and then as time goes on, and we get to know what people like/dislike...then concider changing to suit needs.......

What are your views.....?

If anyone would like to put idears together and make a poll....then go ahead, i was gonna, but there are so many variants of game types ect, my head started to hurt....So i gave up. lol :D
jcket
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Lionheart » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:09 am

Yep ^ what he said...

right 4 me its COD2 DM, TDM S&D
and............. COD4 Free 4 all, TDM, SAB.

who's next...(again) lol
Lionheart

Postby Dutchman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:43 am

How bad do you need a war server? Think about that, as it may be a shame to reserve 2 servers for matches if you're not going to have a couple every week.
Also figure out how much the server can take, whether it would be able to run 4 gameservers (let's say 30players, and then filled up) without causing lag or any other problems. I suggest you start off with a server for each game, get those crowded and then expand if neccesary. It's easier to get 2 servers crowded than when having to do it with 4, am sure everyone understands that logic :P :wink:
Just get those servers up and running, what mix of gametypes doesn't really matter, it's all a process of learning and adapting. You'll very soon find out what the average gamer on your servers likes and you just keep on adjusting the configuration till you and the average gamer like playing the server.

Good luck!
[FuN]Dutchman
-------------------------------------------------------
DJ Frags Live on MPFreeUK Radio - "What do you get when you breed an orange and a dutchman? Our very own [FuN]Dutchman"
"We do not buy superstars. We make them." - Arsène Wenger, Arsenal FC Manager
"Oh, great, German food. We whipped the Jerries twice this century and they still have the last laugh" - Daphne Moon - Frasier
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby SayeTeT13 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:04 pm

dutchy i assure u m8 that cod 2 war server will be of full use while me and deano r around...
mybe cod 4 war server is unnesecery... but im not sure cuz i dont play cod 4 much...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------\
on the seventh day god wasnt really resting... he was playing cod
----------------------------------------------------------------------------/
SayeTeT13

Postby Dutchman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:06 pm

No need to convince me m8y :P
I just meant that you gotta see for yourself how needed a war server is. If you say you'll be using it a lot, I ain't stopping you from setting up one. Hell, even if you think you'd only use it once a year, I ain't stopping you either :wink:
[FuN]Dutchman
DJ Frags Live on MPFreeUK Radio - "What do you get when you breed an orange and a dutchman? Our very own [FuN]Dutchman"
"Oh, great, German food. We whipped the Jerries twice this century and they still have the last laugh" - Daphne Moon - Frasier
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby jcket » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:33 pm

well....what about this...is it possible to have 1 war server with both cod2 & 4 on it....cos tbh i dont think the chances of having a war on both games at the same time would happen very oftern or at all?
jcket
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Dutchman » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:28 pm

I see what you're getting at and it shouldn't be much of a problem imo. Just need to have 2 servers that are configured to run on the same ip, and all you need to do is turn one offline and the other online to switch games. I'm sure Jamie knows what I mean, if clarification is needed, don't hesitate to say.
[FuN]Dutchman
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Cpt.Miller » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:04 am

Yes Dutchy, i know what you mean. Like i said in the other post, leave the war servers off when not in use.

Keiser says he will try and add war server startup control into his dog thing, but i think this should be left to the 4 people who have server access. I think this is best as some times when a war is on more then 1 person will try and start the war server, and this might cause problems - just a thought

As anyone looked into hosting for the mods/maps? this is a major issue and needs sorting out a.s.a.p

AsDutchy as said above, to start off with there will be only 2 games running 24/7. A CoD2 Mayhem server with extreme mod running with end of map voting, i belive this is the best way so you can see what players want from the server, And a CoD4 (no mod as yet) running a mix of S&D, Sabatage, TDM, these can be changed later. Also you can add more servers later if all runs ok.

As for custom maps, i think it would be best to have none, until the hosting is sorted out. If i connected to a server and was downloading at 13kbs, i would not wait, i would just leave. This is why i said this is the most important issue that needs sorting out.

Miller
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby SayeTeT13 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:29 am

Cpt.Miller wrote: A CoD2 Mayhem server with extreme mod running with end of map voting, i belive this is the best way so you can see what players want from the server
Miller

lol u made alittle mistake their jamie.. im sure not in purpose... u wrote mayhem instead of gamers.. i can understand the mistake the letters are close.. was pbb late.. u were pbb drunk.... so ill give u a chance to edit ur post b4 anyone else will notice... or else... :twisted:
SayeTeT13

Postby Cpt.Miller » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:59 pm

No mistake m8, the cod2 server will be running the extreme mod that was under mayhem, on the old servers. Gamers will be the name of the cod4 server.

Once this is passed over, then you can change to meet the needs of members/players.

I have decided NOT to pass server over to you members untill you(members) have donated the next 2 months server cost's to who ever is accepting donations. The only reason i singed up for the server is that it looked like it would have been a long time till some one else would of signed up to a server. I am doing this to make sure the server last's longer then 1 month.

Any disagrees with this please speak now or forever hold your peace.

Miller
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby SayeTeT13 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 pm

hmm.. when will it be up? i understood from calire u havent heard from them in a week....
SayeTeT13

Postby Cpt.Miller » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:49 pm

They had recived to many orders, and so had to get more servers in to cover. Your server is currently being built and will be shipped down to the datacentre this week.

Every time i have emailed them, they have replyed with in hours, and always with an apology, if i remember right, it took 4u servers 3-4 weeks to get the last server up.

All good things come to those who wait ;)

Miller
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby SayeTeT13 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:13 pm

cool m8... just one problem... not your server.... YOUR server....! :P
SayeTeT13

Postby Dutchman » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:23 am

Cpt.Miller wrote:All good things come to those who wait ;)

So that's what you Liverpool fans keep saying to yourself about a Premiership title? How long's it been? 15+ years or so? :P
/me runs off :P
[FuN]Dutchman
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Cpt.Miller » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:14 am

Dutchman wrote:
Cpt.Miller wrote:All good things come to those who wait ;)

So that's what you Liverpool fans keep saying to yourself about a Premiership title? How long's it been? 15+ years or so? :P
/me runs off :P

As another friend keeps telling me, Its 18 years since Liverpool last won the league :(
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby Lionheart » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:32 am

Any ideas how the donations are gonna work......trying to get back to the subject again......;)

Or will this be summin to sort out ltr...............by the way Man U won 4...1 yesturday...Yeeees :D
Lionheart

Postby Cpt.Miller » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:51 am

I belive some one is working on setting up a donations link, all tho i dont know how far he has got.

This is why im holding off passing over server, as i feel these things need sorting out now, not after. Im trying to make sure this server is long term not just a quick fix.

Miller
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby Lionheart » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:47 am

k buddy...thx.....
Lionheart

Postby spliffyed » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:43 pm

Looks like u might have no server by Xmas so . . .

http://crap.teurasporsaat.org/?i=1313

Whoever said 'nothing's impossible' obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree
spliffyed

Postby SayeTeT13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:39 pm

lmfao!!!!!
omfg its wrong in so many levels... yet.. i wanna try it.. :p
SayeTeT13

Return to General [FuN] Information