Server Suggestion

[FuN] 4 Mayhem CoD2 - Runs the extreme+ mod with map/gametype voting enabled

Moderators: Keiser Soze, Cpt.Miller, [FuN] Users, Senior Moderators

Server Suggestion

Postby Jaguar » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:49 pm

TDM at all times. The server already pulls in more players then S&D, but DM is very annoying. Sometimes I spawn in the middle of crossfire. Irritating.

Just a suggestion that hopefully can be made possible
Back to prowlin so keep ur eyes open..or u won't be around to use em.
Jaguar
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby Cpt.Miller » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:37 pm

I never liked DM, it has no point imho, we will see what others have to say tho

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby sgt.roky » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:43 pm

I hate just DM others are all good
:evil:
sgt.roky

Postby ExiT » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:42 pm

i dont like dm becose is allway laggy :?
ExiT

Postby Dutchman » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:30 pm

Yeah, I had initially set this server up in a way so it'd be 50-50, but experienced that quite some maps are just better on tdm, and the amount of tdm maps was growing bigger as the number of dm maps was growing smaller. Reason I had put DM in there, and kept it in there, is mainly cos one or two members wanted dm at the time, and the servername fits ideally. Mayhem, in other words chaos. It's just a shame a lot of CoD2 maps (stock ones especially) are too small to be able to go for dm gametype and having 30+ slots, as then happens what Jag describes.
Not trying to prove a point, merely indicating why it's been a dm/tdm server for the time I was the server admin.
[FuN]Dutchman
-------------------------------------------------------
DJ Frags Live on MPFreeUK Radio - "What do you get when you breed an orange and a dutchman? Our very own [FuN]Dutchman"
"We do not buy superstars. We make them." - Arsène Wenger, Arsenal FC Manager
"Oh, great, German food. We whipped the Jerries twice this century and they still have the last laugh" - Daphne Moon - Frasier
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby DeMoN Viper » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:43 am

a nice mix would be cool with dm and tdm but its all about geting the write maps to do dm and tdm on like someone said in dm it gets abit laggy then on that map change it to tdm i would not change it to much becouse its only just got busy again and i know alot of players who come on to mayhem. like it but a few more tdm in there would be cool and has capt miller knows iam allways in mayhem...... haha well i do pop on gamers now and again sorry to go on.. j c u on gamers m8 regards Viper,,,,,,,,,:...:...<<<< :D :D :D :D :D :D :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/list]
DeMoN Viper

Postby Jaguar » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:19 am

i play mayhem more then gamers, but i leave during DM because I hate being spawned, and have someone camped behind me waiting. or on top of a train between 2 snipers and a beside a 50 cal in the building. (it happened)
Jaguar
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby .:ExpL!c!T » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:17 am

I gotta disagree with you guys. I love DM and would hate to see it go. I think it is a big draw for alot of people that the server runs both game types. There aint many that do this without running the other gametypes like S&D, CTF or HQ aswell. None ive seen that run extreme+. As for lag, that seems to be going now. Its certainly much better than it was before christmas. The most laggy map is cologne and that is a TDM map so it cant all be blamed on DM. The most laggy DM map is usually a packed out el alamain, but recently that map runs pretty well with a packed server. Personaly I find this map the most fun to play as people are comming at you from every angle and it can be a challenge to stay alive. Its the map most people associate with the Mayhem bit in the server name. The server just wouldnt be as much fun if it was TDM all the way. As for spawning in the middle of a fire fight, I can see your point, but you do spawn with sp for I think 5 sec or until you shoot so you can usualy just get out of it and take advantage. Im not to sure about this but I also thought that more people tend to play when its DM. Maybe im wrong about that. The server is also starting to fill up for a good part of the day again so maybe this might not be the best time to change it. Its you guys that are paying the bills so at the end of the day its all up to what you guys feel is best. You are running one of the most popular servers in the UK and Europe and I have to say thanks for doing it.

.:Ex

:twisted:

Veni, vidi, vici
.:ExpL!c!T

Postby phdtje » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:46 pm

Well I never liked deathmatch, only when playing Q3 instagib :lol:
Thing is with DM, ppl who know the battleground v well and love to camp prolly like it becos they can get lots of kills this way. I played it sometimes, but I can't like it, its too chaotic and no proper goal to fight for except your own killratio, and I don't play for my own statistics :wink: When i know the maps, ok then I can camp but, --> camping sux!!! :P
Tho staying alive when not knowing map can be fun, but not for long, I have to agree with Jag here.

I love TEAM DM cos of the teamworking.
Reson I dont play mayhem is becos of DM, if its was TDM only I prolly will be playing there more.
Some ppl like DM, most like TDM.
I suggest to put more TDM in and get only good DM maps for DM.
It's FuN or it's FuN...if it's not the same...so what's the real FuN?
phdtje

Postby DeMoN Crazy1 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:18 am

i agree with ex it should be a tdm/dm whats the point of having tdm people get board!! i love the mahem like egypt most fun u can have in my opinion!! other maps like moscow, russia/ st. mere eglise, france / stalingrad, russia /villers-brocage, france are great and what most people play on. If u put it to tdm u will spoil the game i think but at the end of the day its all up to you.
tnx for a great server and forums :)
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
DeMoN Crazy1
New User
New User

Postby {DeMoN}Sk!pp » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi all
cpt is there anyway you could change the way the spawn protection works maybe put it a little longer ,so then it give's people a chance to get out of the sight's of SCUM spawn killers :evil: .... The other thing im finding is if you accidently come accross people who have just spawned, they can still shoot you, but obviously they dont die when you shoot them, is there any way of stopping them being able to fire there weapon until there spawn protection run's out, another thing i seen was if you shoot a player who has just spawned the hits come off your health instead..... its just a thought...
{DeMoN}Sk!pp

Postby BrainBuG » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:25 pm

I hate the TDM. All the idiots run into ur line of fire coz they want to kill as many as they can. So it happens quite often that u get stuck, killed or blown up coz of some moron. While in DM u can shoot all these morons which is a lot more fun and a lot less frustrating. :D
If theres only TDM on there u won't see me playing on it anymore.
Boeie!!!!!! En nou opzouten met je hele droge hol!
BrainBuG
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby BrainBuG » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:29 pm

{DeMoN}Sk!pp wrote:Hi all
cpt is there anyway you could change the way the spawn protection works maybe put it a little longer ,so then it give's people a chance to get out of the sight's of SCUM spawn killers :evil: .... The other thing im finding is if you accidently come accross people who have just spawned, they can still shoot you, but obviously they dont die when you shoot them, is there any way of stopping them being able to fire there weapon until there spawn protection run's out, another thing i seen was if you shoot a player who has just spawned the hits come off your health instead..... its just a thought...

Spawnkilling is part of the game, live with it. Your not telling me your not shooting someone that has just spawned in front of u. Coz if u don't, he'll kill u instead. The spawnprotection problem works both ways. You can use it as well as the rest.
Reflect fire is crap. U wanna die every time u throw a grenade and someone spawns on it?.. takes the fun out of DM imo.
Boeie!!!!!! En nou opzouten met je hele droge hol!
BrainBuG
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby Cpt.Miller » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:34 pm

{DeMoN}Sk!pp wrote:Hi all

As far as i know, as soon as a spawned player fires, their protection ends.

The spawn time timit could be extended, do a vote on extending the spawn time and ill change it if enougth votes.

As for your health, i aint got a clue tbh, but i will look into it m8.

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby Dutchman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:12 pm

Yup, spawn protection ends when the set amount of seconds has passed OR you fire your weapon. Sure, the just-spawned player then has the advantage as he will be able to hit someone sooner, but also has the disadvantage of being caught off-guard and having to look for the player trying to shoot him.
Don't think you'd want to raise the spawn protection time tbh, if I'm correct, it's set to 3secs (or Jamie's changed it) and that is really more then enough.

The extreme+ mod allows you to do a couple of things though, being:
Code: Select all
// force protected players to drop their weapon if they are shooting another player
// 0 = disabled, 1 = enabled, default = 0
//set ex_protection_punish_self "0"

// punish an attacker if they are shooting a protected player
//set ex_protection_punish_attacker "0"

// disable weapon while spawnprotected
//set ex_protection_weapon_disable "0"

As far as spawnkilling goes, I agree with both Buggeh as Skipp on this. I mean, I see where you're both getting from. It is indeed part of the game in my opinion, but only to a certain extent. Sure, it's not fun to spawn and be dead within a couple of seconds, but if that is limited to only the odd time, you shouldn't really complain. It happens to everyone, so it's not like you're being unfairly treated. Nonetheless, it's not fair either to camp in a certain spot, waiting for players to spawn (even though these spawn places are random, and there seem to be quite a lot around, I've experienced being spawned in the same area lots of times during a game) and shoot them from a relative safe spot, so they won't be able to find/kill you before their spawn protection ends. If you see someone like this running around, first off let him know that's not a fun way to play, and call an admin if he continues to do so.
These servers are set up for people to have fun on them, and if someone's spoiling the majority's fun, he's not a welcome guest imo :wink:
[FuN]Dutchman
DJ Frags Live on MPFreeUK Radio - "What do you get when you breed an orange and a dutchman? Our very own [FuN]Dutchman"
"Oh, great, German food. We whipped the Jerries twice this century and they still have the last laugh" - Daphne Moon - Frasier
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Jaguar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:52 am

this thread seems to confirm what I was too busy trying to deny. CoD2 isn't for me. I love the features, the cool guns, and the players...in some cases. But the gameplay doesn't match what brought me to [FuN] servers and RTCW first person shooters.

I played goldrush and Gamers because both teams have an objective of their own. Protect their property while trying to take the other property down. It created a group effort to get anything accomplished. Even if you wanted to just make a tower of players. Atleast I found myself smiling after I logged off, and sad in a way that my buddies were fragging away while i went to work. Now I leave unhappy every time. Low scores, no objectives(S&D is mediocre objectives) I will stick to ET and CoD, atleast they are close to what I like to play. I'll just moderate CoD2 and maybe stop by to show my face in game.

Have "[FuN]" Demon boys, atleast it's fun for someone
Jaguar
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby Keiser Soze » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 am

partly i must agree with you...some play for stats and for themselfs... I don't like that either but sometimes you end with a few :( crew members that (know what they are doing) play you and me like.
There were numbers times I was covering a group and nobody covered me and 'cause I was left behind doing my job got shoot :(
But things can be changed also I think?
[FuN]Keiser Soze

or
Cerberos -game server rcon tool
"One man with a gun can control 100 without one."
- Vladimir Lenin -
"Listen kid, life is like a dame; you spend your days trying to dance to her tune,
and she still ends up loving some other fella better."
- Humphrey Bogart -
"No man was ever wise by chance."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca -
Keiser Soze
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Dutchman » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:19 pm

I hear ya, Jag, and I agree with you.

I've always missed the objective gameplay in the CoD series that I experienced in RtCW and especially ET.
I've had my good share of great games in those latter games, but have also had some awesome games in the CoD series.
Must admit dm/tdm isn't really my favo gametype, but it can still be fun nonetheless. Have never been a huge favourite of s&d, but found HQ to be an awesome mix of the 2 and it gave me the joys of teamplay I had in RtCW/ET. You could try that out, perhaps you'd like that more.

Then again, FuN ain't the same it used to be in the way that in the early days it was all just RtCW. Sure you had the Gamers-folks, the Phreeks and the Goldy's, but it was all still the same game and it was easier to join one of the other 2 groups for a laugh. Basically you now have a lot of different groups, lots of different games being played.
It's the trick to get a few people together who are fun to play with together (FuN and/or no-FuN) and try to game at the same times. That's the way I could play s&d, even though I didn't really much enjoy the gametype, I enjoyed the server I played on and there were a bunch of regulars I got on with great so I still had fun in the end.
[FuN]Dutchman
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Jaguar » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:28 pm

I haven't had a chance to try other game types, but HQ probably would work great. In RTCW I played depot and there would be about 2 guys with [FuN] tags and everyone else was a regular, or a fun git worth teaming up with and making a charge for the other objective, and if you left your guard down you lost your own objective. I even had sniper battles with some of the former members back then. and it didn't interfere with the gameplay of others, unlike in DM
Jaguar
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby DeMoN Crazy1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:38 am

this thread seems to confirm what I was too busy trying to deny. CoD2 isn't for me. I love the features, the cool guns, and the players...in some cases. But the gameplay doesn't match what brought me to [FuN] servers and RTCW first person shooters.

I played goldrush and Gamers because both teams have an objective of their own. Protect their property while trying to take the other property down. It created a group effort to get anything accomplished. Even if you wanted to just make a tower of players. Atleast I found myself smiling after I logged off, and sad in a way that my buddies were fragging away while i went to work. Now I leave unhappy every time. Low scores, no objectives(S&D is mediocre objectives) I will stick to ET and CoD, atleast they are close to what I like to play. I'll just moderate CoD2 and maybe stop by to show my face in game.

Have "[FuN]" Demon boys, atleast it's fun for someone

jaguar are you saying its only demon's who are having fun?
just because you dnt like the game type doesnt mean you
can sit in the corner and salk and point at the people who are injoyin it.
trying not to be offensive but sorry if you ment it in any other way but
realy to be honest did not like the gesture.
DeMoN Crazy1
New User
New User

Postby SNAiiLMAN » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:00 pm

i like both dm and tdm and having both on one server is great.
Would like to thank those running the server aswell , best server ive tried no other server even come close :D
Would donate if you started a new pure tdm server keeping this one dm/tdm

//
Snailman
SNAiiLMAN
New User
New User

Postby Coke » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:46 pm

SNAiiLMAN wrote:i like both dm and tdm and having both on one server is great.
Would like to thank those running the server aswell , best server ive tried no other server even come close :D
Would donate if you started a new pure tdm server keeping this one dm/tdm

//
Snailman

Wild Guess!
I think it will cost too much :?
(\_/) This is Bunny.
(O.o) Copy Bunny into your signature
(> <) to help him on his way to world domination.
"s*** Happens" Forrest Gump, 1994.
Coke

Postby Dutchman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:44 pm

Pack Mayhem for the biggest part of the day, and I'm sure FuN will try their best to provide you with another such server if there's really that much need for it.
[FuN]Dutchman
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby SNAiiLMAN » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:54 pm

just a thought since some people like tdm more , btw what kind of specs on server and isp would be neccesary to run a 30 slot tdm server on a linux machine ?
SNAiiLMAN
New User
New User

Postby Cpt.Miller » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:57 pm

if your talking of running a server at your home then you cant, if your looking at renting a server click the 4uServers banner above.

Cpt.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Postby SNAiiLMAN » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:25 pm

ok i will check it out
thx
SNAiiLMAN
New User
New User

Postby Dutchman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:51 pm

Cpt.Miller wrote:if your talking of running a server at your home then you cant, if your looking at renting a server click the 4uServers banner above.

Cpt.

Sure you can run a server from home, but it would take some things, fast enough machine, plenty of memory and a kickass connection. Can still be done though :wink:
Just because 4uservers can build servers and have connections to run them, doesn't mean the average Joe can't :P
[FuN]Dutchman
Dutchman
Deputy Admin
Deputy Admin

Postby Cpt.Miller » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Dutchy m8, but i was on about the average user. The cost of the upsteam via a isp would alone be more then renting a server.
Cpt.Miller
[FuN] Member
[FuN] Member

Return to SERVER: CoD2 - [FuN] 4 Mayhem [40pl]